How Much Water Do You Actually Use Every Day?

How Much Water Do You Actually Use Every Day?


Many people are aware that they need to conserve water and try hard to use less every day. This makes good environmental and economic sense, but it doesn’t have to be a difficult exercise. The perception held by some people about water conservation is that makes life very hard. This is not true, in fact, a number of small adjustments can be made in your home that you will not even notice and significant water savings can still be made. Let’s take a closer look at domestic water use, some ways we can use less and how to improve the water quality.How Much Water Do You Actually Use Every Day?

The Volume of Water Used Daily

National Geographic has calculated that the average American home is run by using 2,000 gallons of water each and every day. This seems like an enormous amount, but when you look closer, it is more apparent that the figure is very accurate. Surprisingly, only 5% of this water is run through the taps, garden hoses and used to flush toilets. The other 95% is used for the food that is eaten, and the energy that is expended in the products we use and in services that many of us rely on.

The Water We Don’t Even Use

Every day we pay for water that we don’t even use, 14% of our home use an average of 10 gallons is lost to leaks alone. Repairing leaky toilets, faucets and pipes will cut your water using footprint and save money. If you make a simple switch to a low flow showerhead, you can save 15 gallons of water on a single 10 minute shower. Showers are definitely a better way to get clean and safe water, filling a bathtub could use up to 70 gallons of water. Inefficient toilet flushes lose almost 20 gallons of water each day, water can be displaced in your standard toilet system by using a brick, or you could get a more efficient toilet.

Laundry and Dishwashing

Almost 22% of our total home water usage comes from our laundry, and we can reduce that figure significantly. Many people are unaware that they can adjust the settings on their machine to suit the size of the washing load. Dishwashing only accounts for less than 2% of the water use and using a machine is actually far more water efficient than washing by hand. This is only true if the dishwasher is used correctly and partial loads should be avoided.

Water Treatment

Having a water treatment system fitted in your home can cut your total daily water usage. This is especially true if you have a hard water supply. Soft water cuts water use by preventing scale build up in your appliances. When we run appliances that are clogged with scale, they require more cleaning and wear out earlier.

If you have some concerns about the quality of your water, talk to your local water treatment professional. There are many types of water softeners/water conditioners and filter systems available that can address a host of different water quality issues. Always ensure that your water professional is fully WQA certified, to ensure that they meet and even exceed industry standards.

Contact NicMar Water for your water needs.

About The Author: Mark Williams (NicMar Water President Mark Williams holds degrees in Applied Science and Industrial Thermodynamics, along with Agricultural Mechanization and Systems Engineering from Ohio State University. He also holds the highest possible industry ranking, being WQA (Water Quality Association) LEVEL 6 Certified.)

Back to top

Print Friendly
Nicmar Water
999 Baltimore Road York SpringsPA17372 USA 
 • 800-542-8649

Water Solution Center

Educational Center